Guelph Railway History
Guelph was incorporated as a town in 1855, and the railways soon followed. The Grand Trunk Railway of Canada reached Guelph in 1856, on their Toronto – Sarnia Mainline. Followed shortly after by the Great Western Railway, operating as the Galt & Guelph Railway in 1857. Guelph became a hub of activity for railways. Other railways that were based in Guelph, or came through Guelph were the Wellington, Grey & Bruce Railway, Toronto Suburban Railway, Guelph & Goderich Railway, Guelph Junction Railway, Toronto & Guelph Railway, Canadian Pacific Railway and the Canadian National Railway, The Ontario Southland railway and the Goderich & Exeter Railway. The growth of Guelph can really be attributed to the success of railways.
The Guelph Junction Railway is a railway company wholly owned by the City of Guelph. It was the first municipality owned railway in the entire British Commonwealth. To read more about the Guelph Junction Railway, click the button below.
Canadian National Locomotive 6167 is a 4-8-4 steam locomotive that was donated to the City of Guelph in 1967. The donation was in recognition of Guelph's railway heritage. 6167 is in the collection of Guelph Museums. The GHRA has no affiliation with 6167, but we are strong advocates for the restoration and maintenance of the locomotive. To read more about 6167, click the button below.